Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Looking good

Well I am pleased with him today. I had to drive like crazy and fast to find any grackles. They moved from where I usually find them. I eventually found them out by the air base. It appeared most of them are roosting in base housing which I can not get to. I drove all around the base perimeter and I found a group on the side of the road outside the base. I drove by and Biggio nailed a very large male. By the time he got it under control he was next to a fence where there was a big dog on the other side. Biggio let me move in and put on the leash no problem. I do not know if this was because he was more worried about the dog than me, or if he is finally getting it. I covered the grackle and tossed the lure and he stepped off nicely. After he was done with lure I stepped him off on the glove with a tidbit. We looked around and did not find any more. On the way home I noticed pigeons circling along side an overpass that I have noticed before. I circled back and they had landed under the overpass. It is a low overpass and not very traveled, so I thought it would be a nice learning session for Biggio and myself. I drove to the side of the road under the overpass. Biggio was really watching them. So I thought what the heck, I rolled the window down and he took off after them. The all escaped but he tried. Next time I will go for a different tactic. I pulled out the lure and he came and traded off good.
1/6/09 715 grams 1 grackle

No comments: