Thursday, January 1, 2009

Still in training

Well we have been doing pretty good car hawking. it takes a lot of slips to get one, but I do not know if it is because he is still learning or me, probably both. I am still trying to figure out the speed and release time and technique. He needs to learn, for one thing to stop acting crazy right before I release him. It sure makes it hard to drive while hawking.
The other day I gave him a sitting slip at a duck pond in the park. He took off after them but they all went in the water before he got there. He flew up to a tree and started eying an Egyptian Goose. He flew down and grabbed it and it jumped in the water. I took off running over to where they were and Biggio was fighting the goose and the goose was fighting back. About the time I got there he was almost submerged and he let go and the goose took off. I swooped Biggio up and I carried him to the truck. It was about 38 degrees that day so I held him in front of the heater vent for a while.
Today I saw a flock of Canadian Geese at a school practice field. They were to far to car hawk so I put Biggio on the glove and walked towards them. When I got about 25 yards from them they started to move off so I threw Biggio in their direction and they took flight. One of the geese took off and flew right into a fence, and Biggio got to him and pulled feather but it got away. I am really starting to like this bird.
1-1-09 675 grams and another grackle

No comments: